Tuesday, April 13, 2010

IT IS A MYSTERY


24x24 on canvas..If you want to get a better look give a click. I could not get a close view, this is the best I could do. I have a new camera..Can you say still must be the photographer.

So I know you want to know the story behind the piece..OK maybe I just want to tell you..Even on the computer I can not stop sharing my stories. I was riding down the road and I look over and saw this swamp grey, dark and dreary. Mystery in watery darkness with trees standing in the middle with their arms pointing to the sky..To me there was sadness in the trees wanting to dance but could not because they were stuck in the still water of the swamp.
I did not have my camera..Don't you hate that when you see something and you can not get that shot to remember the perfect of the entire surrounding.
So I started this painting, planning on trying to catch that on canvas dark, sadness of trees.
I started with darkness then BOOM these swamp wood witches jump onto my canvas. Dancing and inviting. So I was pulled into their magic .
Maybe one day I will travel down that road again and catch the photo shot of the dark swamp and the trees that were sad..
But today I am dancing with the swamp witches .

May you always dream in color.
Katelen

18 comments:

CountryDreaming said...

Curiously intriguing!

Ces Adorio said...

Oh my goodness. You and I are so much alike. I look at trees and read their emotions. I think it is fantastic. I think it is wonderful that your image morphed into a painting that holds meaning. What a lovely experience that is.

Caio Fern said...

i liked this ... and the colors are great !

yes , cameras most part of the time desapoint us . don't worry , it isn't your fault .
a len will never be able to see what you see .
hugs , Katelen !!

Caterina Giglio said...

swamp wood witches.... I love it!

Kass said...

How wonderful. Looks like an illustration for a really classy children's book.

Ces Adorio said...

Katelen I gave you an award!

Karin Bartimole said...

Pretty cool Katelen! You brought the dreary sad swamp bound trees to life!! Maybe they were there all along and it just took your hand and paint brush to uncover the mystery of the swamp wood witches :)
ps- yes indeed, there will be room for weekend visiting artists!! xo K

Mary said...

Dancing where they are - they cannot move from where they are right now, but they are dancing all the same.

Dancing where they are.......

Love you!

Anonymous said...

I love to capture moods and this is great!
but I have learned also to never leave home without my pocket camera! I'm spoiled!

have a great night!
ciao bella
carmelina

Unknown said...

Maybe dreary and sad just wasn't meant to be :)

Campbell Jane said...

Dance yes dance! You are so fun! I'd love to go riding around the swamps with ya. I'd drive (I love to drive), and you could snap away! haha
Nice witches! How did you get that texture?
It's so true how places can leave an impression on you or give you a certain feeling, and sometimes actually make you feel different about yourself. Those are my favorite places.
Blessings

Martha Lever said...

Hi Katelen,
Wow, swamp witches! I can relate to the frustration of not having your camera with you but I can totally understand what you saw. You did a great job!

Janet said...

Love the story....and your swamp witches!

Debrina said...

Hi Katelen - sometimes it is a good thing there is no camera. It means the thoughts and feelings you get from your surroundings go into the visual remembering. So, when you come to paint what you saw, what you felt and what you thought come out on the canvas...hence your witchy tree women! I love them!!!

illustration poetry said...

congrats on the award, Ces is my beautifulest witch sister :))

i love your painting!

xxoo

FAQ said...

This is beautiful. I'm always inspired by trees, all the branches and especially the dead ones with no leaves so that it is bare and you can see branch reaching to the heavens or drooping. Each tree has it's own story.

Manon said...

I love when a piece starts like this. I adore the trees and you've done a beautiful job with this piece, Katelen!!

Odd Chick said...

You have such a great imagination! I was ready to dance with you and your swamp witches. I love your painting and that you tried to recreate your imaginative vision. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is really great!