Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Traveler



15x18 on birch panel. I could not get a shot of the depth of the colors and so here it is. I hope you can see it. Maybe click on the picture and maybe get a better look. How many times have I said that..LOL.. I do not even think that will help but ,one day I will get it right...


It has been a nice week with the spring like weather. In the 70's in the day and cool at night.

Could not ask for better weather. I have been working on this piece for awhile. I put a coat of gesso and then I put paper down that I had varnished and then I put layer of layer of color down. Then it just did not look right. Then I sat there looking then I say the black bird come into my head. So I sketch him and then painted him black. Just the way he is suppose to be. He traveled and traveled to get to me. Where he started from no ones knows. He has traveled for years. You see him visit so many different artists and they capture him on their canvas as they see him and then he moves on. I know one time he was in CA and one time he was in New Mexico and then on and on. This time he stopped at my place in this little state AL. He has left put he is still in my memory and I am sure he will show up again . I think he was flying toward CO and from there he was leaving the states heading toward Brazil.

So watch out he may show up at your house and onto your canvas.


May you always dream in color.

Katelen

19 comments:

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

I love this, and looking at the larger pic allowed me to see the wonderful details of crackle and brush stroke textures. The deep sultry tones are so appealing, all the textured effects allow my eye to rang all over the canvass. Wonderful

Bren Graham Thebeau said...

Loved your narrative on how the crow found his way to you. He's not made it this far north yet, New Brunswick Canada but I'll be watching for him :-)

Everydaythings said...

do they fly as far as the southern hemisphere? hope so he is great!

Janet said...

This is fantastic! I think this is my favorite, so far. Clicking on it, I was able to see so much texture and more layers of color.

~Babs said...

Yes, enlarging surely brings out the color.
He appears just where he's supposed to, just when he's supposed to.Don't you love that?
I do. It's a great piece, Katelen!

ColeAndJosephine said...

I really like the subtle colors and cloudy mood.

Caterina Giglio said...

awesome piece!

San said...

I love your blackbird, and your story about him. You're right about him passing through New Mexico. When I came home one evening, he was sitting at the edge of the driveway to welcome me.

Mary said...

Katelen, I love this, and your story!!!
Meg and Greg will be in Brazil in June on a mission trip - I'll have them look out for him!!! :)

Hugs!!

M.A. Wakeley said...

What a beauty, Katelen. It has great depth and the muted tones and colors set a cool atmosphere. Great to see the textures in the larger view.

I am happy you are enjoying the nice Spring weather. Keep dreaming in color :-) Mary Ann

Odd Chick said...

Oh, yes! I could see the depth of color and that wonderful crow! I think they always add some mystery and some depth to a painting and I loved how you drew him- this piece is very interesting! I hope he comes to visit me someday!

illustration poetry said...

yes, Ces is my beautifulest witch sister :D
she is very funny, intelligent and very cool :))
Have i told you that i love your name "Kate-len"?

Your Traveler Bird reminds me of Poe...

Have a nice day! :))

xxoo

Say It In Color said...

Thanks for your comments and I do love the rich colors of your painting!....and what a fun story....I'll look for him....but he better not be in my garden...ha!

Martha Lever said...

Maybe he will fly to my house and I can paint him too. I just bought some birch wood yesterday!

Caio Fern said...

HOW DID I LOSE THIS FANTASTIC POST !!??
april 21 .
i was out , at the montains .

Hi katelen !
how are my beautiful artist friend with beautiful eyes ?
the work is strong , has personality . and the background is so , colorful , dark , beautiful and seducting ! i wish i could get there inside .
your short text allowed me to travel !
it was wonderful .
i do hope , really do , that your little model can come flying and arrive to these lands . i would adore to know that my eyes have touched the same image your eyes have touched before .

Karen Cole said...

Beautiful and mysterious.

layers said...

we notice birds so much more in the spring I think- they are busy building nests.. so this is a nice spring painting.

Art Trip said...

Very nice!!

ArtPropelled said...

I did just that! Clicked to enlarge the picture and love the depth and colours.